Our Capital city, Port of Spain began to take shape over two hundred years ago with the arrival of the last Spanish Governor, Don Jose Maria Chacon in 1784. At that time there were only three streets; Calle del Infante (later, Duncan Street), Calle del Principe (later, Nelson Street), and Calle de Mercado (later, George Street). There was one square, the Plaza del Marina (later, Marine Square). Over the years many new buildings have been constructed and streets added to the landscape of Port of Spain. Here are a few structures which have significantly changed the face of Port of Spain.
Anthony, Michael. The Making of Port of Spain Volume One: 1957-1939 . National Cultural Council of Trinidad and Tobago, 1978.
Collens, J.H. Guide to Trinidad: A Handbook for the Use of Tourists and Visitors . Second Edition. London: Elliot Stock, 1888.
Mavrogordato, Olga. Voices in the Street . Caussean Ltd, 1979.
Ottley, Carlton Robert. The Story of Port of Spain Crusoe . Diego Martin, Trinidad, 1977.
Ottley, Carlton Robert. An Account of Life in Spanish Trinidad (From 1498-1797). Trinidad: First Edition College Press, 1955.
National Archives of Trinidad and Tobago- Port of Spain, Photograph Collection.
"Brian Lara Promenade: Memories of the City." Sunday Express Section 2 Brian Lara Promenade Special February 8, 1998 pages 1, 2 and 8. 23 November 2007
'Advertisement for the Opening of Revue Calypso Tent'. Trinidad Express. January 4, 1974. p3.
'Comments by Mayor of Port of Spain, Mr. Fitz Blackman at the Opening of the Revue Calypso Tent.' Trinidad Express . January 5, 1974. p3.