This square is situated on the corner of Independence Square and Duncan Street and is one of the many squares in the city. It was opened by Governor Young in 1881. A bronze statue of Christopher Columbus stands in the middle of a fountain which was donated by Mr. Hypolite Borde, a wealthy cocoa proprietor. The square is a tribute to Christopher Columbus who is credited with the discovery of Trinidad in 1498. The erection of the square was intended to enhance the appearance of this part of the town. At that time the Police Band performed short concerts once a month from 5 pm to 6 pm.